Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Race recap: 2010 U-Cup race #3: Hardwood ski and bike

Hardwood ski and bikes offered the most awesome trails of the race series this year. Plenty of log-overs, steep and root-strewn descents, and gnarly short climbs kept the race interesting lap after lap. There was even a wicked little technical rock scrub patch (you know, smaller than a garden) that kept us on our toes during the race. The first hill was a fairly steep bastard of a climb that leveled out just in time for you to hit an even steeper section. It definitely separated the gentlemen from the ruffians (and I fear that I was in the latter category.) I actually managed to stay pretty near the front of the main pack for the rest of the first lap, though the second round of that climb drove me somewhat further back. The course definitely suited the avid mountain bikers over the hard-core roadies who smoked everyone in the second race. I ended up 15th again, though I was only 2 minutes off a top-10 finish this time. Hopefully, I'll find that extra bit of push to get a top-10 finish before the end of the season.
Alec W of the U of T team making that section look suitably gnarly
That was supposed to be bullhorns in my right hand
I can't wait to have the U of T jersey
Ahem...I may have put my foot down here about .5 seconds after this

May I just point out that race-tight bibshorts are quite fetching...

Thank you to Brian and Louis from the team for the pictures!

1 comment: